Monday, March 10, 2014

moen-1225-cartridge-replacement



As I was removing the 1225 cartridge with the puller tool, it came out suddenly and I did not see how the holes were oriented. Do the two large holes at the back end line up with the hot and cold inlet pipes ? If so, how do I get the cartridge in further so the ears are in far enough to insert the horseshoe clip ?

look inside and make sure there are no rubber pieces in the body. Pic them out if neccesary.
The holes aim right and left.
Make sure the hole in the stem is pointing down before you put the handle on.

I just replaced mine in my kitchen faucet a few days ago. I couldn’t get the 1225 at HD (they were out) but I got a universal replacement that looks identical.
I didn’t have a puller but I got that little plastic cap that comes with the new cartridge that helped me wiggle out the old, then wiggle in the new cartridge. If you look at the top of the cartridge you will see 2 cutouts. That cutout opening should face toward the front when you push the new cartridge all the way down and in. Then you can push that horseshoe retainer clip straight through the opening all the way through to and through the opening in the back.
The little plastic cap pushes down onto the top of the cartridge and fits down into the 2 cutouts I mentioned above and locks in and gives you a way to twist the cartridge back and forth. That is, the top of the cap is square which allows you to put a wrench on it and thus you can wiggle the cartridge all the way down and orient it so that cutout I mentioned is facing front.
If you don’t have that little plastic cap I think you should be able somehow get vice grips or something on the top of the cartridge and twist and wiggle it down to the position I mentioned above. It wasn’t that hard to push the new cartridge down and in. Nowhere near as hard as pulling the old one out.
I don’t think you have to worry about aligning any holes, that’s done by performing the procedure mentioned above.
Just saw mike's post.
p.s. Can't believe what a difference a new cartridge makes. So much easier to move the handle.
WAIT WAIT WAIT!!! I just looked at my old cartridge and now I'm not certain whether the cutout on the cartridge faces front or to the side, which then allows you to push the retainer clip through. The faucet body has the cutout in the front but I can't remember whether you align the cutouts (faucet body and cartridge cutouts) or not. One of the 2 positions is correct, that's for sure. Sorry!!
If I can remember I'll post back.
Here's a good link. Moen refers to the things on top as ears. I was referring to between the ears LOL as cutouts. I think their link wil clarify my sort of muddled instructions.
Installation Help / Animated Tutorials for Moen Faucet

I installed a moen 1225 cartridge in what I believe is a model #67425 kitchen faucet. the new cartridge stopped the drip problem. When I was done I noticed something about the bottom of the faucet didn't look right, but everything seemed to work perfectly. It started leaking at the bottom of the faucet. I didn't even take the bottom part off when I replaced the cartridge, but I must have knocked it off kilter. I bought an O-ring set, installed, still leaks. Im not sure I have the guts in correctly. I don't want to but a new faucet, what am I missing here?

I agree with the other poster. Make sure there is nothing additional in the tube. I did a video about the replacement process when I replaced my cartridge over the weekend.
Moen Kitchen Faucet 1225 Cartridge Repair or Replacement - YouTube






Tags: moen, 1225, cartridge, replacement, cartridge down, little plastic, mentioned above, bottom faucet, bottom faucet didn, faucet body, faucet didn, kitchen faucet, push cartridge